Thursday, June 18, 2009

Running for the Kingdom

I have always struggled with finding the motivation to go running. There is always some excuse. Oh, we live in the country, there is nothing to see. Oh, it is too early. Oh, it is not that fun by yourself. There are a lot of reasons as to why I choose to be lazy and not run. Lately I have been proud of the fact that I at least would walk at least a mile a day with the dog. I have tried to play basketball once a week, but only for 3 weeks at a time due to a meeting. I wish I could play basketball more, but I need to find something to keep me in shape.

This past Sunday I met a man who was incredible. His testimony was amazing. His name is Tim Borland, you can check out his website: www.timborland.com. What was so amazing about this guy is not just the fact that he is a runner. In 2007 he ran 63 marathons in 63 days! To most people, running 1 marathon in their lifetime is a major achievement. He ran to raise awareness for A-T which is an incurable disease that affects motor skills and mobility in kids and it is a fatal disease. They did a documentary on this and they hope to get it to mass release, it is called "Feat." Not only did Tim run 63 marathons in 63 days, he met someone at the last one in New York that invited him to run "Ultra-Marathons" in Canada for a different cause. So in 2008, he ran 50 miles a day in all the Canadian provinces and territories in as many days. That is 50 miles a day, plus traveling in 13 provinces and territories in 13 days. Next year he hopes to run 143 marathons to raise awareness for the 143 million orphans in the world.

In talking to him, I asked him how he got connected with A-T. He shared a story with me about wanting to use the gift God had given him to further the kingdom. He shared with me how he came to meet a pastor whose daughter had A-T and that is how he got started with A-T. He has a powerful testimony.

It was amazing to see how he wanted to be led by God to run for something to make a difference. He recognized his gift and wanted to use it. This is something I would like to see more of. It was a great encouragement to hear his story. It has motivated me to do some running on my own. I dont think I will ever do 1 marathon, much less 63. I think it is great to be reminded to use the gifts God has given us to further his kingdom in anyway possible. If that means running 63 marathons, do it. If it means playing basketball with people you dont know, but come to build a relationship with, do it. If it means, hanging out with High School kids and showing interest, do it. If it means golfing with your work buddies and being able to connect with them, do it. If it means going out for coffee with someone who just needs to talk, do it. There are many different ways that God can use you. Be open to the possibilities.

No comments: