Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Resolution: Daily Blogs!

Ha ha ha, Gotcha! Like that would actually happen. I am still trying to get in the routine of writing my thoughts down on here. I dont know how many people actually read this anyway, but it is a good practice at least for me to get some of my thoughts down. One of the problems with this is the fact that there are things that I dont know if it is good enough to write down. Another is that I havent completely thought them through all the way. I will try better at updating this, perhaps weekly. I did alright there for a bit, but then life got crazy busy and I just stopped writing.

Something that I have been thinking about lately has been the season of Christmas. This is a busy time for my colleagues and myself. I was very grateful that my church didnt give me any extra services. I mean we had Christmas and New Years day, but then we canceled the evening services on the Sundays after both of them. That has helped me a ton. I feel for my colleagues who have something like 8 services to plan in just over a 10 day span. It is challenging for myself, and maybe other pastors to really try to enjoy Christmas. It is a busy time and so much pressure it is hard to actually listen to the story yourself and hear the Gospel.

It is also hard for pastors and their families, (I know at least for us it is difficult sometimes) because Christmas is a time to be with family. We are not close to any family at all, and people ask, "So are you going home for Christmas?" Or they ask, "Is anyone coming to see you for Chrismtas?" The answer generally is no. We were fortunate enough at American Thanksgiving to have both of our families up here for our daughter's baptism. It is difficult to be away from family, but we know we are called to be here and to minister at the same time.

The thing that has really helped my wife and I is the fact that our Church Family is so hospitable. There has never been a lack for an invitation to someone else's family celebration. This year was the first year for me as a dad. It was really special to celebrate with my wife and almost 4 month old daughter. But it was also really special to really feel as if we belong as family to so many people in this church. There are some really wonderful people here!

Next week we look forward to some time down in California with my family. It will be a much needed break, at least for me. We are really looking forward to relaxing and visiting with family and friends.

No comments: