Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Immigration

Immigrating to a new place is not the easiest thing to do. Even though I am married to a Canadian citizen; even though I have a job in Canada; even though it is a job that doesn't need a work visa - it is still challenging. Everything is affected by my temporary status. I can't import fully until I have my permanent residency. I cant get an Alberta License until I get my permanent residency. I couldn't even get financed for our car because I might skip the country soon.

It is a bit frustrating all the things that you have to do. Today I went for my medical exam for immigration. Well, it was basically a joke. Sure it didnt take that long, but the Doctor seemed more interested in talking to me about other people who have gone through this, or other people who havent showed up for their appointments. He told me stories about people who have medical history that is a lot worse then mine, yet they are allowed in. So, I was thinking, if they allow people in with such conditions in a social health care system, why do they put us through these hoops?

Is it a cash grab or what? The visit lasted less than an hour. I paid 186 dollars for this. He listened to my heart. Asked me some questions, hit each knee. Then sent me for an x-ray. Tomorrow I have to go back and get some lab work done, which I think I have to pay for that too.

I guess it is frustrating that you pay so much for the doctor to ask you questions you could have answered on your own. I could have weighed myself and checked my height. It seems a bit much if they accept people with worse anyway? What's the point?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Immigration is definitely frustrating. My parents have a refugee living with them since 2003, and we are still waiting for the family reunification process to be finalized to have his wife and son come over. And I understand what you mean about the jumping through hoops. It really does seem like they take advantage of the honest people, but let the other ones slide right in. :S
We'll be praying for you through this process.