Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Is a Pastor ever "off"?

I just had a conversation with a friend who is also a pastor. We discussed the whole idea of being a pastor and being "off" - that is, not officially working, or preaching. We wondered if that is ever truly possible?

I had been thinking about this for a while. As a pastor in a smaller community, is there ever a time when you are "off"? Even walking in to the Post Office people will recognize me (not to mention, I dont blend in well in crowds, being 6'7" and having red hair) and say hello Pastor.

I also thought about this with regards to my vacation and Sundays allowed "off." This passed Sunday was one of those "off" days. So, my wife and I attended a different church. This church is a church from our denomination but in a different town. Even there, I felt "on" so to speak. Sure I wasn't preaching, but people who know me, or my wife right away recognize me as "pastor." So even in a different church, I still felt like I had to be "on." I guess one way would be to go to a church of a different denomination where people might not recognize me.

But I was also thinking about this with regards to my vacation. I am allowed 4 weeks of vacation throughout the year. So far this year, the two vacations that we took were "working" vacations. I did two weddings and also preached in those two churches the following Sunday. It is hard to keep the balance of working and vacation. It is also hard to face the family pressure of preaching when home. Now don't get me wrong. I do love to preach. But when you are on vacation, it is nice to be "On vacation." It is nice to be able to be myself and not "Pastor" all the time.

With that being said, I do feel like at the church I am at, I can be myself most of the time. Maybe sometimes I should hold back more than I do. But that is what I really love about this church is that I can be myself, a normal person trying to follow Christ, helping others in their walk with Christ as well.

No comments: