Thursday, August 7, 2008

Things I enjoy about the Ministry

A few weeks back, a friend/colleague asked me what I enjoyed the most about ministry so far. That to me was an interesting question. One that I had not really thought of so far. Thinking about this I realize that the thing I enjoy the most about the ministry is also what can make the ministry so challenging. That thing is: People.

One of the reasons why I felt called to full time ministry was I enjoyed being with people. I am an extrovert. I love being around people. I love getting to know people, hearing their stories and being able to listen to whatever they have to say. I felt God saying, I want to use you to be able to reach out to people. I want you to love people for me.

Being in ministry for an entire 8 months now, I find that I love the interaction with people in our congregation. I love being able to be myself and not having to put on a facade because I am "the minister." I feel people can accept me for who I am, and hopefully that will build trust.

I said this was what I enjoyed the most about ministry, but it is also the most challenging thing about ministry as well. I have always felt that I didnt care what other people thought about me. I mean, I was 6'7" and had red/orange hair. I dont really blend in in a crowd. I thought I taught myself to not really care what people said or thought. But I find that is not as easy as it sounds. In ministry sometimes we have to have thick skin. Sometimes I find that it doesnt matter how thick your skin is, some things will bother you.

With all that being said, I still feel that God has called me to love his people. So to answer my friend's question, the thing I enjoy the most is the people.

No comments: