Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Not that easy...

Wow, I cant believe how fast time can go by. I think the last post was on July 17...I am finding out that it isnt that easy to keep posting on this. One of the challenges I find is that I feel I need to be very profound in what I write. But as I have been told, it doesnt all have to be so profound. I need to just write what I am thinking.

Well, since the last post, a lot has happened. We have been having a good summer so far. Thursday nights we started playing baseball in town here. It is a way I thought to have some good fellowship with people in our church as well as trying to invite people from the community. Some weeks it is hit or miss, (sorry for the bad pun, not intended.) But one week I was really encouraged. We had over 20 people show up, including 5 from town.

One of the people from town was a young woman who has lived here for only about a year. It was encouraging to talk to her a few days later to hear that it was exactly what she needed. She said she had been praying to God about what to do, she had found she was lonely and needed something. She was walking to the post office and saw our invitation, and she joined us. I hope that she will continue to come and that we can get to know her a bit better.

The Gospel Jamboree also took place in our small town. Somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 people came for this in our small town. Sunday morning our church put on a free breakfast. I guess we served over 600 people. It was also neat to see the tent packed for the interdenominational church service. It was pretty cool to see.

On July 28, Brenda and I left for California. We got up early and left at 4:00 am. We drove 22 hours and arrived in Big Bear California at 1:30 am. We drove 22 hours straight! It was a good trip, no problems. It is really amazing to see the country. We stayed at my uncle's cabin for a few days with my whole family. It was so much fun to see the nieces and nephew again! They grow up so fast it is hard to believe. While up there, the guys golfed one day and we went to the lake to swim. Not to mention the Horseshoe tournament we had, which of course I won, by throwing 2 ringers in the championship game! That was a lot of fun.

Thursday we went back down the mountain and had lunch with my cousin and his fiancee. It was really neat to meet her and her son. I was going to do their wedding on Friday night. I was really honored to do their wedding since he is 10 years older than I am. It was really cool to hear their story of how they met. It was fun to see some cousins I haven't seen in a number of years.

Sunday I was able to preach in my home church, that was a good experience, but it is my vacation, and I really struggle if I should do that while on vacation. We then left again Monday morning at 3:45. We drove for about 12-13 hours to Brigham City Utah. That was a nice day, but it was hot along the way. We were pulling our new tent trailer. We discovered it didnt take that much to set it up, and we did it without ever arguing! After setting it up, we went for a swim. It was fun, but we forgot towels, well, good thing the sun can dry us fast!

We left then Tuesday morning heading home. We had a good trip. Montana is really a beautiful state. Everything was going smooth until we hit the Canadian border. We wanted to import our trailer, which I had registered under my name. Well, I was not the smartest and didnt have the title or the bill of sale, so they wouldn't let it in. So, we had to find a place to park our trailer. We left it behind this shady bar, but it was hilarious to see how many vehicles from California are parked there until they get the proper paperwork. So, in a few weeks, I will be driving back to the border to pick up our trailer!

All in all, it was a very good trip. Only the one small hiccup at the end. I learned again why you should never assume...Now the hard part of trying to adjust back into the work routine. I am sure it will come easy since we have council tonight. Thanks for being patient, I hope to post more often now!

No comments: