Friday, August 8, 2008

Privilege

I was thinking the other day about the different privileges Pastors have. What brought this on was what happened while golfing with my dad and brother. We were paired up with two other golfers last week Saturday. After a few holes, we were discussing what the others did for work. While walking down the fairway with this one guy, he asked why I didnt drive truck like my dad and brother. I told him I drove during the summers in college, but I am now a Pastor in Canada. He right away said, "I am going through a separation and a divorce right now. I am just praying to God that he puts patience in my heart and strength to get through this."

This really made me think. I met this man, maybe an hour before when we started. Now, because he heard I was a pastor he immediately opens up about his divorce. As Pastors I think this is a privilege. People who might be complete strangers will open up to you, just because you are a pastor.

I also thought of other times where we are privileged. Last year on I was able to go into the ICU at a hospital to visit with someone from our church. Only family is allowed, but pastors are the only exception. This year also, the night of a serious accident I was able to visit with a member in the midst of his struggles.

It is hard sometimes to get my mind around this fact. Now that I am a pastor I am privileged to visit with people in some of their most trying moments in life. What an honor, and a privilege we have. But we dont do this on our own strength, or our own will. We go representing God and go with his message of hope. Being a pastor is not a job that you can leave at the church. But it is something that you are every single day. Which challenges me to represent Christ in all things.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi Brian,
It definitely is a job that allows you to do some very challenging things with people yet can be so rewarding for you and the person as you walk with the person through their trying times! We are glad that God has given you the love for people and the heart to walk with them during their difficult times.
Laura