Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Psalms for Lent

This year for Lent I decided to use Psalms for a Lenten journey from the Calvin Institute for Christian Worship (www.calvin.edu/worship). The psalms that we have looked at so far are: Psalm 1, 34, 32, 91. This week we will look at Psalm 73.

It is amazing to me to read through these psalms. I love the psalms and love to preach the psalms. Last week I was able to read a sermon on Psalm 91 by Cornelius Plantinga Jr, which was simply amazing. It made it that much more difficult to write my own, because his was so good.

As I have been preparing these sermons, I am realizing how much I love the psalms. The biggest theme that we covered last week was that the Lord is in fact our Refuge. This phrase is a phrase that is often times over used in our world. It has become a quainte cliche that people use. But really, if we think of the image Psalm 91 gives us, it talks about complete coverage. It does seem to paint a pretty optimistic picture, some would question if it is reality or not. But the main point is that God is able to completely cover us.

As we celebrate lent we prepare ourselves to remember what Christ did for us on the cross. He is able to completely cover us and protect us because he spread his arms out for us. He took the pain so we dont have to. As long as we acknowledge him and fear him, he will protect us. What an amazing promise. It has just been a good reminder for me this year during lent.

No comments: