Monday, August 10, 2009

Frustration

For those who read my blog, (I dont know how many actually do, but I know there are some faithful ones) you would know that I try not to complain on here much. I have learned from other peoples mistakes in this area. I learned that some people think that this is a forum just to complain about anything and everything, and think there will be no repercussions from it. This is not a private thing, but a very public forum. So as much as sometimes I want to complain, or whine about something, I feel this is not the correct avenue to do so.

With that being said, I don't want this to sound like a complaining session, but a some things frustrations I have felt and I want to try to learn from them. The only reason I am writing about this is because someone was very public in their complaints last night in our evening service.

I don't know if I have mentioned it before or not, but our evening service attendance is not the greatest on good weeks. I try to keep a very positive attitude about this even when others are negative about this. I try to remind myself of what an elder has said, "Those who are there want to be there. You aren't preaching for those who aren't there. You are preaching to those who want to be there." I try to keep this positive mindset as I prepare each week.

The last two weeks have been especially bad for attendance as far as numbers go. At least in my opinion. The reason I talk about it now, is because of what someone said very publicly last night. As I usually do, I was taking prayer requests and someone said, "What do we do to get more people to night church?" in a very stern tone of voice. First of all, how do I respond to this? ha ha ha. Secondly, this is a good question.

At what point should we evaluate/re-evaluate the second service? There are times, and last week I felt was one of them, where I feel really guilty about not making visits, but I needed to get my two sermons done for the week. There are other times, when it comes really easy and I get more visits in. I am saying this, and I feel I am in a great church that really is not a high demanding church on its minister.

I guess what I really am interested in is knowing why people don't come to the second service. Even when I did things differently and lead a bible study/discussion rather than a sermon, it really didnt impact numbers much at all. I am curious to know why people dont come. Is it because we are too busy? If that is the case, what are we too busy with? What causes us to be too busy? Is it the time of the service? Talking with an elder once before he said we have tried all of that before and nothing has ever changed. A question I have in my mind is, how does this affect us spiritually? Are people coming to the second service out of a sense of "I have to be there" because this is what we have always done? Or is it they want to be there to hear God's word again?

Is there a way to really get at the heart of some of these questions? Is there a way that we can find out what is keeping people away? Or is it something that people just dont want to talk about. Do people not want to say why they dont come to church because they feel guilty for not going? If we changed the service to gear it towards their "desires" will that really get them to come regularly?

As I said, I dont like complaining, and I hope this doesnt sound too much like complaining. It was just made more fresh since last night, and these are things that I wonder about. If anyone has any thoughts on this issue, I would love to hear them. Thanks

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes I wonder if it is not a cultural thing that will change inevitably with the times. after all, we did not always have a second service, and it was started to provide some more information about the Catechism (something very few places do any more). it is important to start and end the sabbath day in worship and prayer, but i wonder if this has to be done in church?

I guess for me the question is whether the second service is facilitating the spiritual growth of the congregation or not. Even those who attend may do so more out of a sense of duty than anything else.

perhaps giving people more space to rest and relax with their families is more important?

just some thoughts.

Unknown said...

I can only post about my own personal thoughts and how I see society and myself in the year 2009.

For me Sundays have always been an interesting day. Since Highschool I have been working full time, usually 6 days a week, the 6th day if not at my job than definatley around the house.

Sundays are my day off. No obligations, just choices. I choose to worship at Church on Sunday mornings, not Sunday evenings or both. I make this choice for a variety of reasons, I am sure to some they are excuses, to me they are choices. Sunday afternoons/evenings are typically my dedicated family time. Time for the my family to spend time together, time for us to visit extended family, time to see friends, time to relax and get into a mindset for the week ahead with its schedules.

I think I can make a fair assumption that a majority of North America has gone to the Double Income form of lifestyle. That means less 1 on 1 time with the spouse, less face time with the kids, parents, in-laws, extended family and friends. So these familys always have to make choices each and every week.

I am not saying that God isn't the centre of all these choices and he takes a back seat on Sundays to our busy lifestyles. For me spending time with my family doing whatever it is we do on a Sunday, we are still Worshiping God in our own way.

Pastor Kuyp said...

Thanks guys for your comments. I myself have experienced a lot of change in my life with regards to Evening Service and Sunday in general. As someone has said to me before, "Are we beating a dead horse with this sometimes?" That is a good question. Do we then take away from those who do attend the evening service with regards to their spiritual life? It is an interesting debate, that is for sure.