Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lost in Thought

Every day I take my dog out for a walk. Generally it is a mile. A half mile to the neighbors, and then back. (For my Canadian friends, I talk miles b/c in the country that is how the roads and markings are laid out. Ha ha) A lot of times I find that I while I am on the walk it is just nice to be outside and looking around at the scenery. Other times I use this time to think more about the sermon I am working on.

Yesterday I was out with the dog and we were getting close to home. I was at a point in the day where I was about to sit down and write my sermon. Now some people do this differently. Some people write a little each day and then pull it together on one day. I have found that for myself, It takes me some time to get to the point of writing the sermon, but when I finally get to that point, it doesn't take me that long to actually type it up on my computer. Anyway, yesterday I was close to writing it when I took the dog out. See, she will sleep after our walk, so I could get some good work in. As we were getting close to home I was in a sort of daze. I was so focused on thinking about the sermon, the walking down the road was just instinct. I really don't remember certain parts of the walk. Just walking and looking at the road ahead. The only reason I came to this realization was my dog decided to bark at something. Which is unusual for her to do on our walks. When she did this, it sort of snapped me out of my daze to realize we were almost home.

I just find this interesting. I find it interesting because I never really viewed myself as a person who would get so deep in thought that you forget your surroundings. Granted it was a beautiful day so I wasn't thinking about nasty weather or anything. I love the fact that I can go on one of these walks and think about my sermon. I can get lost in thinking about God's word and how to apply it to the congregation. It was an interesting experience.

No comments: