Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Things they didnt teach in Seminary

In the past week, I have discovered that there are a couple of things that they really don't teach in Seminary. And I mean, these aren't the things that you would expect like: How do you do a wedding? How do you do a funeral? Things like that. Those are the obvious ones. Not to mention some other difficult ones that arise in different situations.

I have had two very interesting things happen in the last week that I never thought I would have been doing. The first one occurred last week. It was a wet week as it was raining a bit here. My dog needed to be let out, so I took her up the stairs to where we normally let her out. As I get to the kitchen I look out the sliding door and I see a cow in the backyard. They never told me in Seminary that if you are a pastor of a country church, you might need to know how to get cows out of your yard!

The second thing just happened last night. At about 10 PM the phone rang. When the phone rings late at night, or early in the morning my first thought is, what happened? As my wife picked up the phone I heard someone who was rather frantic on the other end of the line. But, my wife's reaction wasn't that excited so, I figured it couldn't be that bad. Basically, someone had a bat in their house and needed my help to catch it and throw it out of the house. Again, another thing they did not teach me in Seminary.

I have learned a lot of things since moving to the country. Growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles you think you see a lot. But man, my upbringing did not prepare me for some of these things!

2 comments:

Sherilyn -Dominee Huisvrouw said...

And WHERE are the pictures? You have a DUTY to post these things on your blog! :)

Pastor Kuyp said...

no pictures of the bat, but I will try and post the cow pics, ha ha ha