Monday, November 3, 2008

Mixed Emotions

Yesterday was a challenging Sunday. Just before the morning service someone came in and said they saw a bad accident on the way to church. Living in the country, when there are bad accidents, they are usually really bad. Not only that, but they thought it was someone from our church. They thought it was a brother and sister who have lived together for many years. She was in her 90's and he in his 70's. Well, when I heard this, I thought, he is supposed to be on the Piano this morning. So I went in the sanctuary and saw he wasnt playing. THis was not normal, he is always there since he loves to play the piano.

Immediately when I saw this my heart sunk. I had a bad feeling it was them in the accident, but we had no way of knowing. At the beginning of the service I saw some family members going in and out and it seemed to confirm it.

After the service we learned that the sister died in the car accident. We made an announcement in the fellowship hall, and after some phone calls off to the hospital I went. The brother was doing okay, so I thought I should go to be with the family.

This is where the really difficult part comes in. We got to the hospital, and he was going to be released soon. What is so hard about this is the fact that we are glad that he was okay and was able to go home, yet on the other hand, his sister had died in the car accident. The challenging thing is, how do you minister in this situation. You are glad one is alive, but sad that the other is not.

The amazing thing to me was the fact that I was able to get through the service with all that was going on in my mind. I had a bad feeling that someone was killed, but wasn't 100% sure. Yet, the service was able to continue on, and it really seemed to me that there was an extra measure of volume in the congregation singing. I dont know if it was just me, or if the Spirit was extra evident during this service. Anyway, I am just amazed, but also have mixed emotions right now.

No comments: