Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Should Size Matter?

First of all, everyone get their mind out of the gutter. What I am talking about is with regards to youth group. We have a small youth group this year, and an even smaller one next year. Currently we have a possible 6-8 kids that potentially could come to youth group. So, if 1 or 2 dont show up, that makes the group really small.

The thing I struggle with is what to do with such a small group. Last year on my internship we had a group of close to 25-30 each time. In a large group you can do bigger games, better activities, etc. With a small group, what can we do? Should we just hang out and play games, or should I actually try to have a discussion with them?

I struggle with this question. I struggle with how much effort I should put into planning for the youth group meetings. A question that arises in my mind is, "If they dont want to be here, why should I spend my time planning things?" Is this a bad attitude to have? Just some thoughts that I have had the last couple of times we had a youth group meeting. I would be interested to hear some opinions or advice on this matter.

2 comments:

Brenda Kronemeijer-Heyink said...

the following is my semi-solicited-for advice :)

my question is what do you want to do with the group? why do people come to youth group? and what's the purpose of it, anyways?

if it's for games and fun, then lots of people is much better. and fewer people definitely has a feeling of being low-key. but low-key isn't bad.

smaller groups are better for connecting individually with the group - and hopefully become a place where people can feel more safe to be themselves.

and because it's small you can say let's meet only half the time and the other part of the time, you can hang out and play basketball with a group of others, or try to have them teach you something distinctly albertan, or just sit and scrapbook with brenda (or hang out with the puppy). that way, you can do something that each person in the youth group appreciates and build positive connections between you, which might build bridges so that you'll be someone people come to with the bigger questions or in times of crisis.

and for those who do really love that fun and energy of having lots and lots of people together - i'd say make sure you connect with other churches in the area, crc or other!

Sherilyn -Dominee Huisvrouw said...

Anything big has to start small! If you don't try to have a good group & just let it slowly go the way of the buffalo, no one's going to come & it'll only get smaller. (profound, I know)

My theory is to just have a good time w/ whoever is there & keep a good balance of discussion & games. There are some games that work better for small groups too!