Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving, part 2

Today is American Thanksgiving. Thinking about that this morning has made me a bit homesick. I have never really thought about being away from home much. But hearing that my family was going camping for Thanksgiving it makes me want to be there with them. Oh, to be camping by a lake at the end of November.

Being homesick hasnt really happened to me for a long time. I have been away from home for 10 years now, I should be accustomed to it by now. Things that help are the fact that we have a great church community here. Knowing that we are loved and welcomed as a part of the family here has been great. Going to things like volleyball tonight will really help. I played basketball for the first time in months last night and realized how much I miss playing. I find if I keep myself busy enough, then you dont have time to think about missing out on camping. Having a job where you sit in your office and think sometimes doesnt help. But, in general I dont get homesick.

One thing that I am looking forward to, at least a little bit, is the fact that we are celebrating American Thanksgiving on Saturday with some others in the area who are American. I think this is a neat idea. Last year I remember missing Thanksgiving especially because we received American TV channels and I could watch Football on that day!

Anyway, on this Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful for family, friends, and a great church community. We are really blessed to be here in Granum. Both my wife and I feel this way. We love being here and are extremely thankful. Most of all I am thankful for our Lord and Savior that he came to us. We begin Advent and celebrate his coming, and we wait his coming again. Thank you Jesus for giving yourself for us!

No comments: