Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas mood

This year is my first year of leading Advent services and really preparing for Christmas and New Years Eve. Last year we were in the middle of a move and everything seemed so out of place and it was just a blur for the most part. This year is a little different. We are settled in and have been here for a while and we know the area pretty well.

With that being said, I still feel that it is hard to get in the "Christmas mood." This morning as I am preparing for the third Sunday of Advent, I was thinking about how I need to really reflect on what Christmas is all about. You would think it is easy to do this when you are in ministry. But I think that since there is a lot on my mind about the upcoming services, it makes it difficult to really get in the Christmas mood.

As I prepare for Christmas and advent, I think I need to take some time to do more reflecting on the meaning of Christmas and advent. It is something that many people can go into auto pilot when they think about Christmas. How can we make the Christmas story new and exciting? Do we need to? Should we use the K.I.S.S model (Keep It Simple, Stupid) during this time of year? Do we need to get back to basics when it comes to Christmas? We celebrate the birth of our Savior and Lord. We celebrate his coming, and we wait his coming again. Hopefully we arent too wrapped up in our own things that we take this for granted. Hopefully we can honestly say as John says in Revelation 22:20, "Come, Lord Jesus"

No comments: