Friday, December 19, 2008

Pushing the limits??

Sunday night is our annual Sunday School Christmas program. It is quite the big thing around here. Last year was one of my first services here, and I remember that church was the fullest I have ever seen it. It seems as if it is a highlight for everyone to come. Which in my opinion is great. I love the fact that people want to encourage the kids in the Sunday school and hopefully they are excited about Christmas.

During the service there is a spot that is given to me to give a meditation of sorts, not a full blown sermon, because then we would be there until 9 pm. This year as I am thinking about what I am going to do, I think I want to push the limits a bit. I want to stretch people's comfort zone. Hopefully it will be something that will make people remember and think about for a while.

For those who read this and go to our church, well, you will just have to wait and see on Sunday evening what will happen. I am looking forward to it. I hope everyone else is too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Push them toward the full glory of the gospel of free acceptance in Christ. Most people just don't really think they're all that sinful and therefore don't fully appreciate just how glorious is the imputation of the active obedience of the Christ who was made incarnate - not only to die on our behalf, but to live obediently on our behalf as well! The most amazingly awkward moment is when someone responds the same way they did to Paul's preaching: "What then, shall we go on sinning so that grace might increase?!" (Rom 6.1) To which we remind them that "we maintain that a man is justified by faith *apart* from observing the law." (Rom 3.28) Now that'll rattle some cages and, for that matter, actually motivate one toward gratitude! Beautiful stuff for this wonderful time of year!