Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Program

Last night we had the annual Sunday School program. It was a lot of fun to watch the little kids as they recited their lines and sang different songs. For me it is really neat to see the kids excited about being up front and singing. At what age is it no longer cool to stand up front and participate?

Anyway, my last post I said I was going to maybe push the limits a bit. Well, I think it went over pretty well. What I did was at the beginning of my meditation, I had someone call my cell phone. At first I looked out like whose phone is that? I should have let it ring longer to make people more uncomfortable as they looked for theirs, but I didnt. Anyway, I answered the phone and acted embarrassed that my phone would ring in the service. Then I reacted all excited about something happening right then and there. So, I ran out of the sanctuary. I came back in after a few minutes talking about how amazing it was to see a brand new baby.

The point I was making was how would we react to an important message like the birth of your own child. Or even more, if it was the birth of the Savior. The Shepherds left their work to go and see what the Angel had told them about. They returned glorifying and praising God for all they had seen and heard. The shepherds were excited about seeing the savior. I wondered then with the congregation if we too share in this excitement? Or are we too tired and worn out from all the busyness of the season? At one point when I asked if we are just too tired, one of the kids answered out loud, "YES!" It shows he was listening, and it shows how honest he was, and how we might need to be more honest with ourselves.

The story is the same story each and every year. For many people it is old and tired. But the excitement of the savior being born should never leave us. We should want to share it with everyone! God himself became flesh to dwell among us! He came to redeem his people. What could be any more exciting??

No comments: